Slice of Cheese

City Survive Taroona Fightback To Stay Top

Solstice Photography

Launceston City survived a late scare to hold on defeat Taroona 4-3 at Kelvedon Park on Sunday. In diabolical conditions, City built enough of a lead early, going 4-1 ahead before two Adelyn Ayton strikes threatened to spoil their day. City held firm though to remain top of the PFD Women’s Super League table, equal with Ulverstone on 12 points, with a 6 point buffer to the chasing pack.

From the kick off, Launceston’s intent was clear. They were ready to play. Launceston dominated play, with their midfield easily controlling the tempo of the game in the early minutes. Chances cropped up for the side, without any really challenging the Taroona goalkeeper until up stood Sydney Hector, who delightfully chipped the ball into the back of the net to get her side a well deserved breakthrough.

Until this point, the away side limited Taroona to opportunities from their own poor goal kicks. However, one goal behind, Taroona decided to turn up. Deciding they weren’t going to win the midfield battle, Taroona decide to turn it on by using the flanks. Whilst successful in causing Launceston problems, unfortunately they were to concede another, with Kiara Walsh scoring from a long range effort against the run of play to put City two goals ahead.

Not to be defeated, Taroona continued to press and after knocking on the door for the last 15 minutes of the half, they finally found success. Eliza Cropp was able to get on the end of a really well worked piece of play by and pull it back to 2-1. The half finished with all to play for with Launceston having the edge, despite easing off substantially at the end of the half.

Solstice Photography

Either Taroona didn’t hear the whistle go, or someone gave one heck of a half time speech in the City changing rooms as they came out to score two goals in quick succession. They made it look easy. The first coming after Keilin Fagan won the ball from Taroona’s centreback, to play Naomi Celebre through on goal to score. Minutes later, Keilin Fagan got one herself, from a sneaky toe poke sneaking in aheaf of the hands of Taroona’s goalkeeper, Sera Lalagavesi. It made for cushion of three goals for Launceston, with a 4-1 lead just minutes into the second half.

Unlike the first half, which saw two clear spells of each side having the upper hand, this half was more of an even tussle. Clearly Taroona were desperate for a chance to get back into the game, meanwhile Launceston were trying to ensure they didn’t take the foot off the pedal after seeing what Taroona were capable of in the first half. Taroona would eventually find success from their hard work though.

Enter half time substitute Adelyn Ayton. Somewhat against the run of play, which seems like a bulk of the goals in this game were, Adelyn Ayton found the ball at her feet from a way out from goals but took the shot anyway, beautifully striking it into the back of the net.

The game continued to be a battle, with Taroona able to fight back, getting a third and perhaps best goal of the half (possibly game but their first was equally nice). Estella Cruickshank played the ball every defensive player dreams of for an assist, knocking it long and pinpoint right into the path of Adelyn Ayton. The Taroona star beat Launceston’s last defender and doubled her goal tally, smashing her second into the back of the net. 

It had been an entertaining game and it provided an entertaining finish. The end to end play was thrilling to watch, but unfortunately for the home side, there were no more goals to complete the comeback they desperately sought. By the finish the final score reflected the reality of this tightly fought game, Launceston City 4-3 Taroona. 


Long time footy supporter and player, short time referee and blogger.Wanna-be know it all about women’s soccer. Also found at MollysFootyRants for more ramblings about football.