Slice of Cheese

Cowen Strike Sinks Travelling Riverside

Solstice Photography

A stunning Danny Cowen goal in the second-half saw Kingborough Lions take three points from a travelling Riverside Olympic outfit this afternoon, running out 2-1 winners. On a glorious day for football, the sun soaked Lightwood Park saw a cagey first half open up to become an entertaining game despite many missed opportunities.

The first ten minutes of play had Kingborough in the driving seat, however they were unable to convert their possession into anything meaningful and seemed reluctant to commit players forward. Riverside were strong in defence and got rewarded for their patience when in the 9th minute, Rhys Kinslow got on the end of a poor pass from defence and he confidently slotted home past Mitch Stalker. Kinslow was in the mood for goals and in the 13th minute he found himself with another chance when his deft touch on the turn got him past Nick Cuthbertson. His second touch wasn’t quite on the same level however and this time Stalker came to collect.

From this point forward it was all Kingborough and as Phil Kantzos attempted a slip ball through to Danny Cowen, the pass took a deflection to play it perfectly into the feet of Kingobrough import Horacio Gutierrez. The composed Gutierrez then turned inside and saw his shot rebound of the back post to settle in the net. Kingborough’s two South Hobart transfers Jacob Brennan and Keenan Douce then came to life and gave Riverside nothing but trouble for the last 30 minutes of the half.

Brennan had a great opportunity to increase Kingborough’s lead but found himself with too much time in the face of goal and his shot was straight at the advancing Jarrod Hill. If not for the defensive efforts of Ethan Olner it could easily have been a 2 or 3 goal lead for Kingborough at half time but the Riverside defender made several crucial interventions to hold the score at 1-1 when the half time whistle arrived.

Jarrod Hill was impressive in goals- Solstice Photography

As it took Riverside 9 minutes to score the opener, it took Kingborough 9 minutes to break the deadlock after the half time break. Danny Cowen had plenty of opportunities in the first half but couldn’t convert until he got his head on a Keenan Douce cross to the back post. In a stunning show of desire, Cowen somehow arched back to make contact with the cross that was falling behind him and the resulting header looped over Hill and settled in the net.

Riverside didn’t test Stalker in goals again for the rest of the match, however Kingborough were intent on increasing their lead and struck the woodwork twice more in their pursuit for some separation. Brennan was played in by Douce and his shot from the edge of the box skipped off the turf and crashed into the post. Ten minutes later as the game was coming to a close, free-kick specialist Christopher Downes stepped up to a 20-yard dead ball opportunity. His effort curled and swerved toward the top left corner but rattled the cross-bar, coming within inches of confirming a Kingborough victory. Little did it matter, as the whistle came after 5 added minutes and Kingborough took the victory and the 3 points.

Kingborough now have 6 points from their first 3 games while Riverside are still seeking their first NPL victory. Riverside will visit Launceston City in Round 5 while Kingborough have to wait for a Round 6 clash against Hobart Zebras.