Slice of Cheese

Fast Start Powers City To Victory

Launceston City came out firing, scoring three early goals to cruise on through to beat University 4-0 in their Round 10 Super League clash. City simply exploded out of the blocks with goals from Emily Hernyk, Kiara Walsh and Lillian Shegog all by the twelfth minute mark. Caught slightly off guard, Uni were left on the back foot for most of the first half, despite some attempts to claw themselves out of it. The second half saw a different game, where both teams were much more evenly matched, however City still got the better of the half, securing a goal through a well taken penalty by Marielle Agatowski.

From the kick off City showed their intent, opening the scoring, by utilising a free kick from a Uni offside, to lob a long ball over the Emily Hernyk, who promptly found herself with plenty of space between her defenders to hit the ball into the bottom left hand corner.

A goal up, City decided they were going to be unrelenting in the early minutes, quickly getting their second through the determination of Kiara Walsh, who followed up for the rebound from her initial shot to double their lead.

Not content being only two goals up so early, they soon added a third through Lillian Shegog getting on the end of a nice piece of play by her side, which saw her with the opportunity to tap the ball into the net. At 3-0, after 12 minutes, one side were decidedly content, the other were scrambling to find some answers for the rest of the half.

While City played out the half, pressing high and finding some good pockets of space in the midfield, Uni did pull some respectability back by the end of the half after a tactical substitution seeing Jayd Lockley coming off for Sophie Muir, who went up front, moving Isabelle Ingham into right back, shoring up the defence. Still, City went in at halftime comfortably ahead at 3-0. 

Enter the second half, enter the contest. Whilst the first half was often a one sided affair, the second showed a level of parity that Uni fan’s could only have wished for from the kick off. Both sides got chances in on goal. For City their forward trio worked hard, creating some quality opportunities, only to be denied by some good saves by Uni goalkeeper Mikalha George. Meanwhile Uni found themselves able to play some good combinations between their midfield and forwards lines, but didn’t hold the answer to breaking down City’s defence enough to get too many quality chances on goal.

While the second half looked set to maintain the first half score line, a handball in the box, by Georgia Burley saw the ref quickly blow his whistle indicating a penalty. Marielle Agatowski stepped up to take it, and whilst Mikhala George decided the right way to go, getting hands onto the shot, Agatowski’s shot was too powerful, hitting the crossbar and still going over the line. This bookend to the scoring to give City a comfortable four goal win.

Uni dug deep in the second half to ensure the game wasn’t a complete walk over for City, the away side just proved too much in the first fifteen minutes and never looked likely to lose once ahead with a good cushion of the three early goals. The win sees them close the gap to Ulverstone to 3 points ahead of their meeting with Hobart Zebras on Sunday. 

Long time footy supporter and player, short time referee and blogger.Wanna-be know it all about women’s soccer. Also found at MollysFootyRants for more ramblings about football.