Slice of Cheese

Harms Late Equaliser Denies Rangers

Solstice Photography

A 92nd minute goal from substitute Adam Harms rescued the Kingborough Lions as they claimed a 1-1 draw with Northern Rangers down at the Den. The visitors appeared to have done enough to win the game as they eventually broke down a resilient Lions defence in the 75th minute, as debutant Kwin Kensley pounced on an errant clearance but Harms volleyed one home from a corner in stoppage time to steal a share of the spoils for the hosts. Harry Thannhauser then spurned a glorious chance with the last kick of the game to send Rangers back up the highway wondering what might have been.

It was a physical battle all afternoon between the sides- Solstice Photography

The first half was a pretty scrappy affair, with both sides looking to impose themselves on the contest but neither dominating. Rangers were enjoying the greater share of possession but the Kingborough defence was standing tall. Their central defensive partnership of Joel Schuth and Jackson Nugent were particularly impressive, snuffing out all that came their way.

Rangers thought they had taken the lead on 24 minutes when Rodriguez turned one in from close range after some lovely work from Jones but the offside flag went up to deny them much to their frustration. It was as close as the game came to a goal in the first half, save for a Jones chance at the near post which Kamara did well to close down, but at half time 0-0 seemed a fitting scoreline based on the opening 45 minutes of play.

The second half began in much the same manner. Rangers were on top of the game and getting plenty of crosses and balls into the area but not creating good goal scoring looks from them.

The best chance of the game then fell to Lions as long throw into the box from Verdouw was flicked on perfectly by Danny Cowen forging a chance for Belstead who blasted his volley over the bar.

That chance seemed to spur Rangers back to life who would have been very stiff to have been trailing in the game at that point and their talisman Nick Lanau-Atkinson looked to make something happen. First he was played in by a fine pass from Fulton and drove one hard at Kamara who flicked it over the bar, before then creating a chance for Jones with a delightful cross from the wing, but Jones’ diving header was straight at the keeper.

Nick Lanau-Atkinson was a creative force but Joel Schuth was a rock in defence for the Lions- Solstice Photography

He played a role in the breakthrough goal too, creating the attacking moment in the box that led to Danny Cowen missing a clearance that allowed the substitute Kensley to bundle a shot home and give Rangers a deserved lead. The goal was then capped by the celebration of the season, as he launched into a full gymnastics routine in the middle of Lightwood Park.

Rangers were in control of the game now and seemingly had it in their keeping. Fulton continued his classy game in the middle by splitting the defence and playing in Jin who declined a chance to seal the game, firing tamely at Kamara, and it would prove costly minutes later as the Lions struck late.

Having had shouts for a penalty denied a minute earlier and had a Danny Cowen shot well blocked by some scrambling defence, the Lions won themselves a corner. Everyone was up in including the keeper Kamara as it was swung into the middle of the box where Harms, who had only just come onto the pitch, buried a volley to level things up in the 92nd minute.

Their joy should have been short lived though as Rangers squandered two good chances to win the game immediately after.

The Lions were still throwing men forward with a reckless abandon, trying to go on and take all three points but it left them horribly exposed at the back and only a goal line block from Jackson Nugent to deny Jin saved them before Harry Thannhauser spurned a gilt edged chance with the final kick of the game.

All alone in the middle of the box and with just the keeper to beat, the Town House smashed one for the top corner that narrowly and agonisingly missed, with the final whistle sounding immediately afterwards to bring the game to a conclusion at 1-1.

Thannhauser was a solid performer on the day but had a rare misfire with the final kick of the game- Solstice Photography




FFT Media and Communications Coordinator, Everton tragic, long form journalism devotee, Andrea Pirlo enthusiast and admirer of the parked bus.