Slice of Cheese

Lions and Reds In Stalemate

Solstice Photography

Clarence and Kingborough played out a rare 0-0 in their Saturday Women’s Super League clash, as neither side could find an avenue to goal in a game of few chances. In windy conditions, the sides struggled to get ticking. From the kick off, it quickly became apparent the game was one for the defensive minded, as neither side were able to break through the well structured defences.With opportunities few and far between, last ditch defending and goalkeepers quick off their line, saw the glimpse of chances quickly snuffed out. Even a penalty wasn’t enough to break the deadlock, with Clarence’s goalkeeper Amelia Vanderniet pulling out the save to secure the draw.

Early in the piece, the Lions looked to establish their dominance, having good spells of possession. However against two lines of defence, Clarence were able to prevent the away side from getting into any sort of passing rhythm. Additionally space in the attacking third was a commodity in short supply, making life difficult for their forwards. The first opportunity of the half went to the Reds, with a Mady O’Brien corner tantalisingly begging for some to place it into the back of the net, but no one obliging.

Some half chances were produced, as clever combinations by the Lions looked threatening, but even better defending meant any chance was either in an awkward position or not close enough to really threaten the goalkeeper. As such the game went in at half time scoreless.

Out of the gates in the second half, Kingborough looked to up the ante. In the 47th minute they earned a free kick on the edge of the penalty box. However a goal just wasn’t on the cards for the day, as Leila Hickman’s delightfully taken free kick glanced the far top corner.

The Lions, continued to press, particularly finding some clever combinations between Emille Tatton and Hickman. However the Clarence defence was up to the task, forming a shield around the penalty box, allowing very little through. Clarence got the odd opportunity from the counter, nearly catching the Lions defence asleep at times, but couldn’t find anything to be the difference between the sides.

In a push to find a goal, Kingborough subbed on Laura Davis. In the 75th minute it looked like the Lions salvation had come in the form of a penalty, after a clear handball in the box. Davis stood up to take the kick. Banking on Vanderniet picking a side, Davis took the shot, aiming it low and hard right down the middle. Unfortunately for Davis, the Lions and the game, Vanderniet, was unmoved and made the save look routine.

The final ten minutes saw the Lions again link up well up front, but equally denied at every turn by last ditch defending and lack of composure. Clarence almost found the break through late in the match, with an O’Brien free kick taken deep, swooping into the penalty area, but the ball just couldn’t find a Clarence player to connect to it and get an attempt on frame.

It was a tense battle between the two sides, where clearly both sets of defences triumphed. It was difficult conditions for both sides, with any chance on goal a result of hard work in breaking down the wall of players protecting the goal. The penalty could have been the difference between the sides, however based off the desperation of defending on show from the home side, they will feel they deserved the point.