Slice of Cheese

Lions Jump Rangers Into Sixth

Solstice Photography

For the second week in a row the Kingborough Lions have taken home all 3 points, running out 5-2 winners against the Northern Rangers at Lightwood Park. Rangers Captain Nick Lanau-Atkinson opened the scoring in the 7th minute before David Cooper equalised just 12 minutes later. Danny Cowen then put the Lions in the lead, converting from the spot in the 24th minute. Lewis Verdouw then extended his sides lead, striking in both the 34th and 43rd minute, as his side entered half time 4-1 up. In the 72nd minute a Daniel Cristy goal gave the Rangers hope but the Lions ran out winners, with James Hall’s stoppage time strike capping a 5-2 win.

The game started with neither side holding the majority of possession and the ball going from end to end. However this did not last long, when Pat Lanau-Atkinson cut into the box and was brought down, winning his side a penalty. It was his brother Nick Lanau-Atkinson who stood up to the spot, making no mistake and seeing his side go one goal up in the 7th minute.

After going a goal up the Rangers continued to push, with Nick Lanau-Atkinson and Adhar Ngor combining well for a one two on the right hand side. However, it was the home side who were next to find the back of the net, with David Cooper curling his shot into the goal after goalkeeper William Smith made a mistake, levelling the scores in the 19th minute.

It was only minutes later that the Lions were preparing to score another, when in the 24th minute a Timothy Baker shot was blocked, before his follow up effort hit the hand of a defender, seeing the referee point to the spot. Danny Cowen stood over the dead ball and made no mistake, with the Lions going 2-1 up.

The Rangers then had a great chance to equalise, with multiple shots being stopped by the Lions, through sheer numbers behind the ball in the penalty area. Soon after, these missed chances came back to haunt the visitors, with Lewis Verdouw pouncing on a Rangers defensive mix up that saw goal keeper William Smith collide with the Lions attacker. Somehow Verdouw managed to hit the ball into the back of the net, putting his side 3-1 up in the 34th minute.

Just minutes after the Lions goal, it was Pat Lanau-Atkinson attempting to spark life back into the visiting side, with a great run that saw his shot being blocked.

However, yet again the Lions pounced, with Timothy Baker’s 43rd minute corner finding Lewis Verdouw in the box and the number 6 headed the ball into the back of the net and saw his side head into half time 4-1 ahead.

The second half began with more end to end play, with Pat Lanau-Atkinson producing another good run and Lewis Verdouw almost scoring his third. In the 59th minute, Timothy Baker almost scored,before minutes later he came close again, with his shot cleared off the line.

In the 72nd minute the Rangers found themselves back in the contest, with Harry Thannhauser putting the ball on a platter for Daniel Cristy to see the score move to 4-2.

In the 80th minute Lions keeper Nick O’Connell produced a huge save, denying the Rangers a third goal and potentially saving a Rangers comeback.

Rangers kept pushing, in the 90th minute it was Thannhauser with a shot going over the bar, but three minutes later James Hall put the result beyond doubt. It was Lewis Verdouw who made the run for the home side, and he unselfishly gave the ball to Hall who brilliantly chipped Smith to see his side run out 5-2 winners.

Speaking post match, Rangers coach Lino Sciulli said that “we only played ten to fifteen minutes of the first half and the rest we were chasing our tails.” Sciulli said that they played well in “patches”, outlining Fulton, Youd and Thannhauser as standout second half performers.

Lions coach Mark Broadbent labelled it a “nice feeling” to finish opportunities in the final third. Broadbent also outlined the fact that all of his players played well and the win is a credit to the club volunteers and staff that have helped them reach the standard of football they are playing.

The win sees the Lions move into 6th spot, one point above the Rangers, as both teams try to catch 5th placed Olympia.

Next week in Round 14, Kingborough travels to Valley Road to face the red hot Devonport Strikers, Saturday at 2:30pm. Meanwhile the Rangers face South Hobart at Darcy Street, kicking off on Sunday at 2pm.

Student, lover of Melbourne Victory, the Richmond Tigers and all things sport