Slice of Cheese

Pirates Edge Out Warriors

Solstice Digital

Taroona have advanced to the Statewide Cup Final after they held off Olympia to claim a 2-1 win at Warrior Park. First half goals from Zoe Horgan and Zola Blackwood Coyle secured the win as they held on to win despite a late Warriors goal breathing life back into the game late.

Both teams looked to show their intent out of the blocks and it was clear neither side was in the mood to sit back. Both sides would go at each other and back themselves in to outscore the opposition.

After trading chances in the early moments, it was through familiar means that Taroona would take the lead. Just as she was in their semi final victory over the Zebras, Zoe Horgan was dialled in from the dead ball situation and she finessed one home range, lobbing the keeper and sending the Pirates on their way.

Olympia responded well to going behind and enjoyed a good spell in possession as they pushed to get back into the game but were finding Taroona’s defence a very tough nut to track. The likes of Minstrell and Tolman provided a strong physical presence and they were dominating in the physical duels.

Taroona then doubled their advantage, Zola Blackwood Coyle bobbing up from the corner, sneaking in front of two markers and directing one into the far corner. It was well delivered by Horgan and an even better finish and suddenly Taroona were in firm command of the tie.

Olympia again responded well and created chances but unsurprisingly they weren’t coming with the frequency they have in their Championship games. This was a far more organised unit than they had faced in recent times and the game went into half time at 2-0.

Taroona started the second half well, controlling the possession and pushing for the goal that would kill the cup tie off. Olympia survived this period unscathed and would then go on to control the bulk of the second half, with Taroona content to protect their two goal buffer.

As time became an enemy the Warriors were given late hope as Josephine Mamic’s shot snuck through Sera Lalagevisi who had seemed to have the shot under control.

If anything it seemed to spark Taroona more than the Warriors, as they immediately got back on the attack, deciding the best form of defence was to get ahold of the ball well away from their own net.

The Warriors had a couple of promising moments in attack but they came to nothing and the game ended 2-1 in the Pirates favour.

The win sets up a Cup final game against the Kingborough Lions, following their big upset win over Ulverstone in the other semi final.