Slice of Cheese

Rampant Rangers Smash Clarence

Solstice Photography

Northern Rangers ran up the score as they piled more misery on last placed Clarence, registering a comfortable 7-1 win in their home opener. Harry Thannhauser set the tone early scoring in the fourth minute, as his team ran all over the Reds, who pulled one back from new import, Andres Sanchez but found themselves outmatched.

The Rangers were undoubtedly the better team in their first game at home were switched on from the get-go, with the first goal coming in the 5th minute with Harry Thannhauser punishing Voss’s fumble on the goal line.

The weather was a major contributor throughout the game as it was extremely windy and wet in Launceston.

Clarence were defending Rangers well up until Federico Colainni scored an unstoppable header in the 32′ minute mark from about 10 yards out which was came down off the upright and in. Rangers kept piling on the pressure and in the 41′ minute when Rangers captain Nick-Lanau Atkinson skipped past the centre-half and drilled one past Voss into the bottom right corner. It sent Rangers into the sheds 3-0 up at halftime and in a comfortable lead. Clarence were struggling to find a solution to the Rangers attacking threat.

After the break, A foul was committed outside the 18-yard box. Daniel Cristy stepped up to the ball and cooly put it over the wall and into the bottom left corner to make the score 4-0.

In the 55th minute, Clarence’s drought came to an end when new import, Andres Sanchez received the ball just inside the 18-yard box, before proceeding to belt it in off the post which made it 4-1. Clarence were quick to take the ball back to the middle for the ball to be kicked off again. They felt they weren’t out of it yet and looked determined to make a contest of it!

That hope was shattered 3 minutes later when Rangers were awarded a penalty. Federico Colainni stepped up and nailed it in.

In the 70th minute the Rangers were awarded a controversial goal as all Clarence players stopped, thinking it was a set piece, but it actually was an advantage paid. Thanhauser played on after a shot from Colainni was saved by Voss, and then finished off into the bottom right corner.

In the 80th minute, Rangers substitution Lachlan Mccallumsmith shot from 20 yards out and put the ball in the bottom right corner, easily beating Voss  and making the final score a resounding 7-1.

The Rangers players were ecstatic with the result, as heard from the Rangers changerooms at the end of the match and after taking a point from the now ladder leading City the week prior, find themselves in good form ahead of a tough Devonport game next week.

Clarence meanwhile will hope a return to Wentworth Park can spark their fortunes, the side now sitting in last place with a goal differential off -19 after 4 rounds.