Slice of Cheese

South Down Clarence At A Canter

Victoria Morton

South Hobart bounced back from their Lakoseljac Cup defeat with an emphatic victory, downing Clarence 7-0 at Darcy Street. On a cold and wet day, the contest was over inside of 12 minutes as South leapt out to a 3-0 lead, hitting the Reds hard early on. Only some wasteful finishing kept the scoring down as South kept up their strong NPL form with a comprehensive win.

The writing was on the wall from the outset, South scoring with their opening attack as Isaac Degetto stroked home the first from the day after having it crossed to him by De Vecchi.

South were doing all the attacking, finding plenty of space in between the lines and from one of a number of early corners they gained, they doubled the lead.  Working the corner short, Nick Morton belted in a perfect cross with pace onto the head of De Vecchi, who rose up and thumped the header home!

Then it was Connor Schmidt’s turn, the midfielder driving a shot from a spill in the box, that deflected off a defender and into the far corner of the net. Schmidt was immense throughout the game and was singled out for praise by his coach post game.

That made 3-0 after 12 minutes and the game was for all intents and purposes already settled. It was a miracle Clarence survived till the 40th minute without conceding further. Mathew Dyson was facing a veritable shooting gallery, with only some wasteful finishing, and heroic defending from Adam Hedge, keeping it at 3. It took the big centre back to show the attackers how to finish, as Dan Brown rifled a rocket along the ground and into the far corner just before the break to make it 4-0.

Degetto then added his second of the day, finishing off Adam Gorrie good work to make it 5 at the interval.

Clarence looked better in the second half as they shifted some players around and the addition of Bremner in attack at least gave them a phyiscal focal point, but it didn’t take long for South to resume the free scoring ways.

Seizing on a terrible pass out from the back Renato De Vecchi added his second of the day with a simple finish before being felled by Price in the box, presenting Adam Gorrie with the chance to make it 7-0 from the spot.

South had another 6 good chances before full time, but were pretty wasteful from that point on, with Clarence surviving further damage to end the game with the score at 7-0.

The defeat marks 3 successive thumping’s for the side, who will be desperate for a response next week when they host Northern Rangers. South meanwhile have bigger fish to fry and face a crunch game with Devonport at Valley Road.



FFT Media and Communications Coordinator, Everton tragic, long form journalism devotee, Andrea Pirlo enthusiast and admirer of the parked bus.