Slice of Cheese

South Scrap Past Lions

Solstice Photography

South Hobart got their first points of the season, as they rebounded from an opening night defeat with a 2-1 win over the Kingborough Lions. The Lions took an early lead via a long range bomb from Chris Downes, catching the keeper out, before Nick Morton hit back almost immediately for South. Jack Turner put South in front midway through the second half, and despite coming under an aerial siege late in the game, it was enough for South to take the points.

The Lions got the dream start via Downes as he took full advantage of a hashed clearance from Brown and promptly drove it straight back over his head from 30 yards out.

The lead didn’t hold long, South responding immediately, as a marauding Gorrie crossed from the right hand side which Stalker got a hand on to stop it reaching Turner, but the rebound fell straight to Morton who stroked home with the left foot.

South began to get on top but clear cut chances were few and far between, as the Lions defence led by the returning Nick Cuthbertson held them at bay.

Gilly Desouza then took a tumble in the box after being caught by Easton, who may count himself unlucky on replay, appearing to have got the ball.

It presented Adam Gorrie with the chance from the penalty spot, but he was unable to convert, a diving Stalker keeping his effort out and keeping the game locked 1-1 at half time.

South started the brighter of the sides in the second half and came close twice before claiming the lead in somewhat fortuitous circumstances.

Substitute Sam Berezensky’s shot was pushed back centrally by the leg of Stalker, to where Turner was lurking and he fired a first times a shot that deflected off Schuth into Stalker before popping back up for Turner who prodded home.

The Lions could have, and should have been back on terms almost immediately as Brown came up big to deny Gutierrez. The new American import, who impressed with a physical performance in central midfield fired straight at Brown who drifted across and got in  the way, similar to his save on Nkoso on the opening night.

It sparked a period where South came under increasing pressure. The lethal dead ball ability of Chris Downes was inducing panic at the back from a string of threatening set pieces.

But two yellow cards in the space of 60 seconds to Lions skipper Joel Schuth saw the end of their charge, the defender booked for two late fouls and given his marching orders.

South held their nerve and claimed their first three points of the season to bounce back from their opening night defeat. The Lions meanwhile can be pleased with their first up effort and look like they will be a tough team to beat at the Den this season.