Slice of Cheese

South Strikes Late To Steal Victory

Solstice Photography

Two goals at the death saw South Hobart breathe life into their 2018 League campaign, as they rallied back from a 1-0 deficit to claim an extraordinary 2-1 victory over Olympia. Having been outplayed for the majority of the game, South made the Warriors pay for their wastefulness as they pounced late to stun Olympia and jump up into fourth place on the table.

The game was really only there to be snatched away because of the work between the sticks of Kieran Brown. For most of the first half he played spoiler to Gordon Gurson, denying him on three separate occasions, including a big double save as the American simply could not find a way past the youngster.

South had their moments early, they came close on a pair of occasions in the first 20 minutes only for Lucas Hill to save the day. Hill was moved to centre back for this game where he was outstanding and the switch moving Stevens into midfield proved a shrewd decision from Dale Itchens.

After South’s bright start, Olympia worked their on top and soon the major chances were all falling the way of the Warriors. Brown’s best work came denying a Jake Vandermey shot shortly before half time. Getting across and clawing it away at full extension as the sides went into the sheds locked at 0-0 despite Olympia creating all of the major goal scoring opportunities.

On 67 minutes Gurson finally got his goal. Eduardo Castaneda chipped it in to box from a free kick, where Paul Stevens rose to nod it down to Gurson who was on hand to acrobatically volley home.

Having been chasing the elusive goal, the game shifted now for the Warriors who needed to see out the match and secure the points, though they continued to attack and look for the goal that would seal the game.

They seemed to be seeing the game out comfortably enough until in the 86th minute, disaster struck. Walter chipped it over the defensive line of Olympia that had pushed up and they were caught out by the pace of De Vecchi Marins. He stormed in behind took a touch before being taken out by the sliding Brett Johnson leaving the referee with no alternative but to point to the spot. Up stepped Adam Gorrie to send the keeper the wrong way and the game was squared at 1-1.

Two minutes later South were back on the offensive as Nick Morton won a key battle with Alex Holmes before carrying the ball into the box where he faced a one on one with Lucas Hill. Morton showed tremendous patience as he weaved one way then the other, buying time for the supporting run of Walter to arrive. It duly did and Morton slid it across to his winger to tap home the most unlikely of match winners.

Cue pandemonium in the stands as South pulled off the great escape. After 85 minutes the obits were starting to get prepped as South were surely about to slip 9 points behind the leaders and find themselves on just 5 points after 6 games. But they dug deep and just found a way to win, this side simply won’t quit and now they find themselves right back in the thick of things, jumping to fourth place. Its amazing how quickly things can turn and in the space of 5 minutes South may have changed the entire direction of their season.

For Olympia, this was one that got away, they were the better side on the day, but that doesn’t guarantee results, goals do and they failed to score as many as they should have when they were in the ascendancy. It was the harshest of lessons and makes it 4 losses on the trot now, needing to pick themselves up off the canvas ahead of next weeks Eastern Shore Derby.  They just can’t seem to get past this South Hobart side and mentally this one has to be a tough one to bounce back from/


FFT Media and Communications Coordinator, Everton tragic, long form journalism devotee, Andrea Pirlo enthusiast and admirer of the parked bus.