Slice of Cheese

Wadawu Brace Leads Warriors Home

A brace from Warren Wadawu, including a stunning free kick from an outrageous angle saw the Olympia FC Warriors rally back from an early deficit to claim a 3-1 win. After Sam Reibel’s second goal in as many weeks had the visitors up and about early, two goals from Wadawu and a sealer from Gordon Gurson secured the points for the Warriors.

Clarence’s opening goal came somewhat against the run of play on 28 minutes but it was a goal of considerable quality from Sam Reibel.  He timed his perfectly to sneak in behind before volleying home Palmer’s free kick with a lovely technique. Had former Reds keeper Darby Randall not been strong then Jake Stuart would have opened things up on 8 minutes but it had been the Warriors on top till that point, squander three scoring chances.

Olympia’s goal would not come from anything remotely resembling a chance though as Lachlan Hardwick smashed a clearance straight into Warren Wadawu who saw it deflect off his shoulder and past a stunned Dyson to level the game up.

It went into half time break locked at 1-1 with Clarence doing a good job defending stoutly and not allowing Olympia in behind their lines.

Dale Itchins revealed post game he gave his players a stern dressing down at half time and it worked as his side stuck twice in the opening 15 minutes of the second half to break things open.

On 54 minutes Warren Wadawu conjured a moment of magic, striking his free kick from a simply outrageous angle, tucked up against the by-line he curled it into the far corner to give his side the lead.

Gordon Gurson then provided some breathing room when he took advantage of some shambolic defending to stream into the box and smash home the goal emphatically.

From that point the game turned rather scrappy as Olympia seemed less compelled to push numbers forward and the awful weather conditions certainly didn’t help things.

On 79 minutes Lucas Hill had a header cleared off the line but that was about it as the game petered out with the Warriors 3-1 victors and in fifth place at the end of the first full round of fixtures.