Slice of Cheese

Warriors down South In Season Opener

Solstice Photography

The Olympia Warriors started their season with a commanding performance, as a first half Jono Ladic stunner led them to a 2-1 win over South Hobart. A Jack Ryan goal midway through the second half doubled the advantage, and it was enough to secure the win despite a stoppage time goal from Gilly DeSouza.

In truth Olympia could’ve had this contest settled by half time. Their first half was as dominant a 45 minutes as they have strung together against South Hobart in a long time.

Only some heroics from South keeper Kieran Brown kept the scores level against an early Olympia surge. He made a brilliant save to deny a Nkoso header from point blank range as he made himself big, drifted across and managed to keep it out with his hip. He then turned a Ryan header onto the bar after Walter’s attempted clearance looped its way to the Englishmen.

It was a strong debut from Ryan, who could have scored more, but looked a strong physical outlet up top and an effective battering ram that is set to cause major headaches for opposing defences in 2019. Ryan had another chance shortly after but his shot lacked conviction and was straight at Brown.

In the 36th minute, Olympia’s got their deserved go ahead goal, when Nick Morton’s clearance dropped to a lurking Ladic at the top of the box, who lent back and cracked a superb left-footed volley into the top corner to give Olympia the lead.

South Hobart responded to falling behind with their best moment of the game, with Adam Gorrie twice getting in behind the lines and threatening to score, but failing to do so.

The second half started in a more even manner, but South were looking better and had their best 10 minutes of the game early on.

But it was Olympia who struck again, Jack Ryan getting on the scoresheet with Ladic turning provider and sliding it through to him. The Englishmen’s shot lacked power, but it squirmed underneath of Brown and into the back of the net.

Whether it was due to the two goal lead, or the stifling conditions, the game tempo lulled a little as it dragged towards the end and the Warriors failed to match their sharpness of the first 45, finding themselves under increasing pressure from a South side who were not going to give in.

South did eventually get their goal, Gilly Desouza smashed a rocket in bottom corner from the top of the box and cut the lead to 2-1, but with just two minutes of stoppage time to come, it was too little too late.

Olympia walked away with the three points and a morale booster to start their 2019 campaign. There was a real feeling of optimism at the club and there is no doubt they believe they will be right in the thick of a title race.

South meanwhile need to regroup, their depth is being tested with a number of injuries putting them on the back foot from the outset and will want to click into gear quickly to avoid a repeat of 2018.

Solstice Photography