Slice of Cheese

Warriors Rally Back To Down Knights

Solstice Photography

The Olympia Warriors defeated a gallant Glenorchy Knights 3 – 1 at KGV on Wednesday night. The Knights opened the scoring through Declan Brown in the 17th minute before Jordan Scott struck back minutes before half time. The Warriors then took the lead in the 58th minute with Nick Mearns hitting home, before a Jacob Leaman strike sealed his sides 3-1 win.

The game begun with an early chance to Olympia, with Jack Ryan heading wide from a Jordan Scott cross. The Knights then had a chance of their own when Declan Brown intercepted a wayward Paul Stevens pass, however the Olympia defence held strong.

In the 12th minute Nicholas Naden sent the Knights fans into a short lived celebration, before the realisation that the ball was in the side of the net spread across the crowd. However, just five minutes later they were celebrating for real.

The attack began with Sam James heading the ball towards Nick Naden. Naden then brought the ball down before playing the ball in front of Declan Brown. All Brown needed was one touch before slamming the ball past Kyle McDonald and into the back of the net, putting the Knights 1-0 up.

Glenorchy’s dominance would continue in the minutes that followed, with a great chance coming in the 24th minute. Yet again it was Declan Brown on the charge, cutting in and out before striking the ball well. However, Kyle McDonald was not to be beat again, producing an early ‘save of the season’ contender to deny the Knights a second.

In the 35th minute it was the Warriors with a chance on goal, however Jordan Scott sprayed his shot well wide. Nick Mearns then hit his shot wide in the 40th minute before the Warriors found the equaliser.

Three minutes after Mearns’ missed chance Jake Vandermey found himself with space on the left wing. Vandermey crossed the ball into the box before Jack Ryan nodded it into the path of Scott. Scott then took a touch before hitting a powerful shot into the bottom right hand corner and levelling the scores just before half time.

Olympia started the second half much like they ended the first, with a number chances falling to Leaman and Ryan, and soon after they found themselves in the lead.

In the 56th minute Jordan Scott whipped in a dangerous cross which bounced around in a crowded box. The ball then spilt to Vandermey whose deflected shot fell in front of Nick Mearns who finished well, putting the Warriors 2-1 up.

Mearns gave the Warriors the lead- Solstice Photography

As the half wore on Olympia continued to press for another goal, and it came just ten minutes after their second. In the 66th minute Joffrey Nkoso drew defenders at the top of the box before playing through Jacob Leaman. Leaman then took a touch before hitting the ball into the back of the net, via a deflection that wrong footed the keeper and sent the Warriors 3-1 up.

Just minutes later Leaman almost found the back of the net again, before Matthew Nowicki found himself through on goal, however his shot fell straight to McDonald. Nicholas Naden then struck well from outside the box but yet again McDonald held strong, with the Warriors running out 3-1 winners.

Speaking post match Olympia Coach Rob Clarke was “not very happy at all.” He believed his side was much better than their performance and was lucky to get all three points.

Glenorchy Coach James Sherman was happy with his sides performance in the first half. He believes that as one of the new sides in the competition it will take a while to adjust to the tempo for the full 90 minutes.

The win sees Olympia draw level with Devonport on six points, whilst the Knights remain on three. The big games continue to come for both of these sides, with the Knights headed up to Valley Road to take on Devonport, on Saturday at 2:15pm. Meanwhile the Warriors head to North Hobart Oval to clash with the Hobart Zebras on Sunday at 2:15pm.